Monday, September 10, 2007
at
6:25 AM
|
“All Animals are created equal. Some animals are more equal than others” George Orwell
Today, my ass strolled along like many other times before into a well know restaurant in Jozi for lunch my special lady. It was lunch about midday and not that busy. There were tons on black waiters and busboys. (Is busboy a derogatory term? I hope not. I just hear it all the time but somehow it just sounds wrong). Strange coz during the money hours, you know, Thursday to Saturday night, you’ll hardly find black waiters at these posh, suburban restaurants. Anyway, we sat down in this not so busy restaurant and we waited for a few minutes whilst the waiters seemed to be drawing straws on who would serve us. Someone eventually lost the argument and then had to serve us.
The bloke came casually and gave us our menus and took our drinks orders. My lady’s drink came and nothing for me. I waited patiently like the shy darkie that I am. After it was as clear as LCD TV screen, I could see that I wasn’t getting nothing. When I ask the waiter, what up? He was like, “I don’t know”. He then leisurely took my order again and this returned with it in reasonable time. We then waited forever, like a dude waits to get laid by a virgin, to get some assistance. Look by now I’m sure you can see where this story is going. You like, yip, yip, I feel you. If you white, I also know what you thinking. You like, “Hold up. I’m white and I get bad service too. It’s not a black and white thing.”
Look you right, but that’s not the point. The point is this. A friend of mine, who worked at these joints, told me that all the junior waiters get sent to serve black customers coz darkie customers don’t tip. Using my intuition and wealth experience, I’m going to go with this as truth. In that case, that’s a royal bitch. If you serve black customers like shit, then you complain that they don’t tip. Do you see a problem here? It’s a bloody vicious cycle. Black people don’t tip coz they don’t get good service. Black people don’t get good service coz they don’t tip. I’m sorry but I refuse to get crap service and then tip just to prove a point.
The other thing is that we black folk don’t like to complain. So we let the cycle continue. It’s about time we stopped going to obviously racist joints. Especially when the racism comes from our own kind. Black people, please don’t tip if you don’t get the service you deserve and don’t go quietly. Let the managers know that you was treated substandard and you shall not be returning. (Yeah, please. Don’t say that and go back two weeks later in a red cap, hoping they wont see you). Discourage your fiends from going. Its 2007 and the time for black and tolerating racism is over. White folks already do this. There’s no reason why as a black person, you shouldn’t stand up for your damn self.
Today, my ass strolled along like many other times before into a well know restaurant in Jozi for lunch my special lady. It was lunch about midday and not that busy. There were tons on black waiters and busboys. (Is busboy a derogatory term? I hope not. I just hear it all the time but somehow it just sounds wrong). Strange coz during the money hours, you know, Thursday to Saturday night, you’ll hardly find black waiters at these posh, suburban restaurants. Anyway, we sat down in this not so busy restaurant and we waited for a few minutes whilst the waiters seemed to be drawing straws on who would serve us. Someone eventually lost the argument and then had to serve us.
The bloke came casually and gave us our menus and took our drinks orders. My lady’s drink came and nothing for me. I waited patiently like the shy darkie that I am. After it was as clear as LCD TV screen, I could see that I wasn’t getting nothing. When I ask the waiter, what up? He was like, “I don’t know”. He then leisurely took my order again and this returned with it in reasonable time. We then waited forever, like a dude waits to get laid by a virgin, to get some assistance. Look by now I’m sure you can see where this story is going. You like, yip, yip, I feel you. If you white, I also know what you thinking. You like, “Hold up. I’m white and I get bad service too. It’s not a black and white thing.”
Look you right, but that’s not the point. The point is this. A friend of mine, who worked at these joints, told me that all the junior waiters get sent to serve black customers coz darkie customers don’t tip. Using my intuition and wealth experience, I’m going to go with this as truth. In that case, that’s a royal bitch. If you serve black customers like shit, then you complain that they don’t tip. Do you see a problem here? It’s a bloody vicious cycle. Black people don’t tip coz they don’t get good service. Black people don’t get good service coz they don’t tip. I’m sorry but I refuse to get crap service and then tip just to prove a point.
The other thing is that we black folk don’t like to complain. So we let the cycle continue. It’s about time we stopped going to obviously racist joints. Especially when the racism comes from our own kind. Black people, please don’t tip if you don’t get the service you deserve and don’t go quietly. Let the managers know that you was treated substandard and you shall not be returning. (Yeah, please. Don’t say that and go back two weeks later in a red cap, hoping they wont see you). Discourage your fiends from going. Its 2007 and the time for black and tolerating racism is over. White folks already do this. There’s no reason why as a black person, you shouldn’t stand up for your damn self.
Posted by
Anonymous
Labels:
serve the tip
0 comments:
Post a Comment