Thursday, October 25, 2007
at
11:24 PM
|
"The SOWETO leg of the Bok tour cancelled"
Although it saddens me, I must say that I now feel somewhat vindicated. The victory tour of the Springboks has cancelled their SOWETO leg due to "logistics". Yah right. What logistics?
SOWETO has about 6million residents (+-12%) of the population and that's where they chose to cancel. Come on.
So what were we saying about the world cup victory being fo all South Africans how we shouldn't see colour and this will unify the nation. This is trully dissapointing as the Boks being in the township with that trophy would have been awesome and given hope to so many people. It would have also been a great signal to prove the like of me (who don't believe rugby is for all) wrong. I was looking forward to eating my words. But, like I said, The Boks are not for transformation and the game doesn't belong to all in SA.
I know that for many of you, this is not conclusive proof of my beliefs, but hey, if it qwaks like a duck, smells like a duck, looks like a duck..... It's a ?
Although it saddens me, I must say that I now feel somewhat vindicated. The victory tour of the Springboks has cancelled their SOWETO leg due to "logistics". Yah right. What logistics?
SOWETO has about 6million residents (+-12%) of the population and that's where they chose to cancel. Come on.
So what were we saying about the world cup victory being fo all South Africans how we shouldn't see colour and this will unify the nation. This is trully dissapointing as the Boks being in the township with that trophy would have been awesome and given hope to so many people. It would have also been a great signal to prove the like of me (who don't believe rugby is for all) wrong. I was looking forward to eating my words. But, like I said, The Boks are not for transformation and the game doesn't belong to all in SA.
I know that for many of you, this is not conclusive proof of my beliefs, but hey, if it qwaks like a duck, smells like a duck, looks like a duck..... It's a ?
Posted by
Anonymous
4 comments:
Well, it seems they changed their minds. How wonderful. I'm gad that someone woke up and decided to make them go to SOWETO. I think that this is justice well served. The people supported them, the people must gate a taste of the victory parade.
Logistics my ass.
I support your sentiments, but your population statistics are rather inaccurate. The Census 2001 records the total population of Joburg at 3.2 million people, of which 896,995 people reside in Soweto. There would be some increase since 2001, but certainly not a seven-fold increase. See links below for more info.
http://www.joburg.org.za/facts/index_demographics.stm
http://www.joburg.org.za/soweto/overview.stm
Paul, paul, paul. If research further, you'll realise further that SOWETO and the rest of Jhb have a large number of unaccounted for occupants that are not on the census count due to many issues, not to be discussed on this particular blog. This is the reason why we have been fighting the government method of allocation of funds to regions. In the suburbs almost all people are accounted for and funds allocated correctly but in informal areas like townships this is not well accounted for.
Plus you must rememeber that there are employment issues in SOWETO and the people engage in other activities to pass time. If it was 800,000 in 2001, it could be a lot more by now (the birth stats support this), then account for the informal immigrants as well as people not accounted for in cencus as mentioned above as well as the fact that I had to inflate and exagarate my figures a lot to make my point much louder, I reckon the number adds up.
But thanks for your input.
Hmmmmm Transformation in rugby goes beyond the number of PDI players on the team it also includes, amongst others, transformation of the spectator/viewer/supporter base. Studies worldwide have shown that if there are numbers behind a sport, the urget to persue greatness follows.
Soweto, above all else, is an esential transformational message to address the above. KZN & Eastern Cape may boast the most number of residents of color but Soweto resonates as the sum of the two.
Post a Comment