Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 11:45 AM |

"I love it when a plan comes together" Someone

 

Just how much of our lives do we chose and how much is fate and just how much is a factor of chance? Is the life you are living the life you planned or dreamed of some time ago?

 

I guess this is a broad question that can be debated for over years. It's as good as What is the meaning of life question. But this is quite a fascinating reflection point. And by not planned, I'm not assuming the just negative. It's both. I know naturally you were heading that way. I mean really look at your life. Did you plan to have the job you have? Did you plan to be divorced at 32? Did you plan to be living in a small apartment in Sandton or large house in the Free State? Did you plan to be married or to have kids by now? I've spent a lot of time reflecting on this at many points in my life and that's how I've always managed to be so focussed and I guess so successful at achieving my goals. I run my life like a business. 5 year plans, budgets, policies and guidelines, red tape in decision making, and doing it because that's what has to be done and been ruthless in execution. I even came up with a pay off line to TMH, "The WDGNS Co" aka The We Don't Get No Sleep Company. This was in reflection of two things that embodied my life. I won't sleep until I get done what needs to be done. And also a converse principle which reminds me of my values. There's no sleep when a man has a dark, heavy burdened conscience. So, do what you have to, but not at all cots. Make sure I sleep, and sleep well at night.

 

Okay, I accept that at this point you realise all my weirdness and strangeness to my approach to life. But I am unashamed of who I am and the things I've done. Coz, even with all my major cock ups, I know my heart was true and damn I sleep well at night. It's actually quite strange just how close to my plans I've come. I'm not bragging, but illustrating a point about being focussed. However, a bomb dropped recently. My life will no longer be about how well I achieve my many goals, its going to be simplified by what makes me happy. Whether planned or not, period. This doesn't mean, no planning what so ever. It just means that I'm going to be living for the now and for joy. Even if some career or financial goals take a back seat. I tell you my daughter has taught me a few lessons and literally has changed who I will be. I look at her now. She has no life plans. Hell, I don't even think she plans her day. She just goes with the flow and I have never met a happier person in my life. She lives inside every moment as it happens and missed nothing. One can't adopt the model exactly into adulthood, but there are plenty of lessons to be learnt. She spends all her day exploring life and discovering new treasures. Just how much of that do we do? How much of life is based on "cant afford" or "Would be nice, but I'm studying right now" or "She's cute, but I'm not really looking for a relationship at the moment"

 

I'm not writing a new life formula but will say this; I met & fell in love with my wife at the time when I wasn't interested in a new relationship and the joy of my life, my daughter was unplanned. Sometimes you've got to have faith and, jump. Somebody once said to me, "Sometimes, you've just gotta jump and the universe will catch you".

 

Remember, sometimes goals are just goals. What's more important is actually what makes you happy and will keep you happy. Life is and can be just that simple. Live it, don't manage it.

Posted by Nhlanhla

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum